Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never ever prior to have many new strategies and clinical breakthroughs emerged in such a short period of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, provides countless individuals the opportunity to decrease or eliminate their need for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio ads are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgery as the fast and painless way to correct vision, but stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you decide to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist make sure that you will more than happy with your outcomes?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an informed patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be fooled by elegant advertisements about a specific laser center. Choose the physician, not the laser center. Learn who will actually do your treatment, then inquire about that physician's credentials (e.g., board certification, unique training).
3. Select a physician who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. Exactly what a medical professional doesn't know can harm you.
Ask for information on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. If your physician will not tell you, find another one.
Ask what measures are taken to avoid infection. Firmly insist that your eye is thoroughly sanitized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated prior to your eye laser surgery to remove the risk of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Be careful of advertisements pushing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgery is as excellent as a discount rate parachute. The potential cost savings are not worth the risk of getting less than skilled care!
7. Anticipate to see extremely well after LASIK, however don't anticipate to see perfectly. Each client gets a slightly different outcome. The very best cosmetic surgeon worldwide cannot guarantee 20/20 vision. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as private as each patient. Beware of any physician who promises 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a tough sell, you most likely are. You're not purchasing a automobile; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. Implantable lenses will probably use much better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Consider waiting up until the new lenses are offered. Ask your doctor about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, don't lose sight of the benefits: for the majority of people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has improved read the vision of countless people around the world.